As millions of people across the world take to the roads, the rail lines, and the sky, to join friends and family in celebrating the Lunar New Year, it’s important to set yourself up for an enjoyable — and safe — trip, ahead of time.
If you’re traveling with Airbnb over this festive season, here are eight important travel tips to keep in mind:
- Search & Book with Confidence: Get exactly what you’re looking for by taking advantage of our many search filters, like price, home type, and amenities. Be sure to read the host’s profile and listing description thoroughly—paying special attention to the amenities, house rules, and the cancellation policy.
- Read the Ratings & Reviews: Look through feedback from past guests to help find the right fit for you. You’ll see ratings on several quality dimensions, like cleanliness and accuracy, and detailed reviews with authentic feedback. Guests can only leave a review after they’ve stayed with that specific host, so you know the feedback you’re seeing is based on actual experiences.
- Get Your Questions Answered: Our secure messaging tool is a safe and easy way for you to ask a potential host any questions you have about their home before you book. After booking, you can also message your host to coordinate check-in and stay in touch throughout your trip.
- Always Communicate & Pay on Airbnb: Keep your payment and your personal information protected by staying on our secure platform throughout the entire process—from communication, to booking and payment. You should never be asked to wire money, provide credit card information or otherwise pay a host directly. If you are, please report it to us immediately.
- Do a Safety Check: Once you’ve arrived at your home, make sure you know where all of the relevant emergency equipment and safety information is located. If you’re not sure where something like the first aid kit or fire extinguisher is, don’t hesitate to ask your host.
- Remain Alert: Public areas and public transit will be far more crowded than usual during this festive season. While it’s easy to be distracted by your holiday plans or bored by long security lines, it’s more important than ever to remain alert and aware of your surroundings. Take sensible precautions with your belongings and keep a close hold on any valuables. If you see anything suspicious, be sure to alert local authorities.
- Research Local Travel Alerts & Warnings: Whether you’re traveling with Airbnb or not, it’s always a good idea to research your destination ahead of time, and check with the local embassy at your destination in case there are any travel warnings or special requirements you should be aware of.
- If Anything Isn’t Right, Reach Out: If you arrive and something’s not quite right, reach out to us. We’re standing by 24/7 in 11 languages to help with anything from rebooking assistance to refunds or reimbursements.
By taking a few simple steps ahead of time and planning with safety in mind, including using these 8 safe travel tips, you will surely save yourself time and needless headaches down the road — so you can focus your energy on enjoying the holiday season.
From all of us at Airbnb, have a safe and prosperous Lunar New Year!
For more on all we do at Airbnb to protect our global community, as well as a few additional safety information for hosts and guests, please visit: www.airbnb.com/trust.