Airbnb recently released a report revealing the #1 most “wish-listed” Airbnb listing in each of the top 25 home sharing markets in West Virginia.
Airbnb’s “wish-list” function allows users to save the listings they most desire when planning trips, whether it be a beautiful kitchen, a peaceful backyard, or a charming neighborhood that catches their eye. The most wish-listed listings in West Virginia are among the most unique and special homes on Airbnb’s platform.
For this report, Airbnb tabulated and added up tens of thousands of wish-lists to establish which listing in each city was #1. The top 25 markets reflect a wide array of cities across the 9 geographic regions in West Virginia*, while the diversity of the #1 listings reflect what makes the state so authentic and unique.
Some of the most popular listings embody the kinetic energy of West Virginia’s urban centers, such as Kara and Austin’s Two Single Beds in Lovely Home (#1 in Charleston). On the flip side, other top listings became popular by offering opportunities to get off the beaten path and experience the more tranquil, rural areas of West Virginia. These include Jim and Jo Ellen’s Secluded Cabin (#1 in Wellsburg and Brooke County), which is meant to give writers and artists an “off-grid” and “spiritual retreat” experience.
West Virginia’s prominent outdoorsy reputation appears to fuel the desirability of some Airbnb listings. For example, Dianna’s Adventurer’s Rest (#1 in Bluefield) offers an “ATV haven” while Kyle’s Mountaintop Retreat (#1 in Martinsburg) is — quite literally — at the top of a mountain.
The #1 listings vary widely in size and scope. They range from Shirley’s Set up tent or stay in tree house (#1 in Upshur County) — which sits on 130 acres of land — to Tony and Mary Grace’s Tiny Rustic Bunkhouse (#1 in Beckley), which is only 60 square feet.
The rankings indicate a desire of many Airbnb guests for direct interaction and engagement with their hosts. For example, both Rebecca’s Trillium Acres Guest House (#1 in Morgantown) and Claudia’s A bit of heaven for the nature lover (#1 in Mineral County) are guest houses adjacent to their primary residences.
Over 800 West Virginians now share their homes via Airbnb, yet according to the West Virginia Tourism Office, WV hotels experienced dynamic growth in occupancy, nights sold and overall revenue in 2017. This parallel growth may be explained by the truly unique and unreplicable homes available on Airbnb, like Will’s Cozy School Bus Conversion (#1 in Shepherdstown) — which is a 1997 schoolbus-turned-lodging space — and Rick’s Wild, Wonderful WV (#1 in Clarksburg), which offers 10 acres of tent camping.
Finally, Jim’s Cozy Secluded Chalet is not only the #1 most wish-listed home in Berkeley Springs — it’s #1 in the entire state of West Virginia.
Throughout the duration of 2018, Airbnb and its West Virginia host community are committed to supporting and growing the Mountaineer State’s tourism economy.
Permission is granted to utilize photos from these listings. The full list of cities and #1 wish-listed homes can be found in full below.
Top wish-listed listings in West Virginia by region
Most wish-listed listings in the Eastern Panhandle:
- Berkeley Springs → Moss Hill – Cozy Secluded Chalet Cabin w/ Hot Tub (hosted by Jim)
- Great Cacapon → The Cabin On The Hill (hosted by Kara)
- Harpers Ferry → Skyview – Private Mountain Retreat (hosted by Jeffrey)
- Martinsburg → Mountaintop Retreat (hosted by Kyle)
- Shepherdstown→ Cozy School Bus Conversion (hosted by Will)
New River - Greenbrier Valley
Most wish-listed listings in New River – Greenbrier Valley:
- Beckley → Tiny Rustic Bunkhouse – Off Grid Living (hosted by Tony and Mary Grace)
- Bluefield → Adventurer’s Rest Close to Trailheads ATV Heaven (hosted by Dianna)
- Fayetteville → Charming Barn Loft (hosted by Holly)
- Lewisburg / Greenbrier County → Downtown Artist Cottage with Sauna (hosted by Mary and Russell)
Most wish-listed listings in the Potomac Highlands:
- Davis → The Cub House (hosted by Joan)
- Elkins / Seneca Rocks → Renovated Barn in Seneca Rocks (hosted by Shelly)
- Keyser / Mineral County → A bit of heaven for the nature lover (hosted by Claudia)
- Marlinton / Snowshoe → 24 Mountain Crest, Snowshoe, WV (hosted by Josh)
- Moorefield→ Beautiful Log Cabin w/Gorgeous View (hosted by Floyd)
* Geographies per the West Virginia Tourism Office
** All homes referenced are intended purely to inspire and illustrate. Airbnb does not recommend or endorse specific home listings or any other homes on the Airbnb platform.