How do I apply for Community Tourism Programme support?
To apply for support, the first step is for you to introduce your organisation and your big idea. Airbnb is accepting letters of interest year round here. Only shortlisted projects will be invited to submit full applications.
What should I include in my Letter of Interest?
Letters of Interest should include a broad description of your visionary idea, how it meets the Community Tourism Programme’s goals, and a projection of community impact. Letters of Interest must also:
- Indicate what category you are applying for: Placemaking, Innovation, or Festivals and Events
- Specify eligibility, including the lead applicant’s name and address, trade registration number of company, charity or non-profit organisation if applicable, and name details of principal or senior officers of the organisation
- Specify amount of funding requested
- Introduce all key collaborators, including city agencies and any private-sector groups involved
- Detail project scope and time period for the project to be concluded
What types of projects will Airbnb be interested in hearing about?
- Placemaking: Creating, raising awareness and celebrating not-yet-trending destinations (e.g.,regeneration and developing sustainable new offers in destinations; advancing sustainable tourism and preserving historical sites; and building new assets to celebrate hidden cultural gems).
- Innovation: Reimagining the tourism and travel space by sparking entrepreneurship and strengthening local economies (e.g., supporting digital literacy programmes; supporting destinations and entrepreneurs innovating in the tourism space; encouraging sustainable tourism practices; increasing accessibility of travel options for people of all abilities; research; and support for small businesses, particularly minorities and women)
- Festivals and events: Preserving or celebrating local festivals and events while introducing them to a broader, appreciative audience (e.g., support of event accommodation needs; sponsorship of cultural festivals and events)
Who is eligible to submit a full application?
Airbnb will review Letters of Interest and will invite short-listed projects (“Eligible Applicants”) to submit full applications (“Applications”). Applications must include in-depth descriptions of the organisation and the proposed initiative, the intended impact, project financials and implementation timeline. Organisations that can demonstrate additional public and institutional support in the form of a letter signed by a recognised public-sector agency will receive special consideration.
Who will select the successful Applications?
A cross-functional team at Airbnb, spanning our European and company leadership, will decide which projects to support.
How much will Airbnb award to a single project?
- We remain open to ideas and opportunities and will exercise flexibility at our discretion
- Proposals will be assessed on an individual basis, but we generally expect to offer financial support in three tiers: a) €1,000-25,000; b) €25,000-50,000; and c) €50,000-100,000
- Projects must demonstrate existing levels of funding that match or exceed their Application requests
- Awards can be provided in single or multiple formats, whichever is best suited to the project, such as in the form of financial support, Airbnb coupons, or third-party services paid for by Airbnb
- Airbnb reserves the right to require applicants to provide evidence of and certify the use of funds during and at completion of the Projects funded
- If there are any surplus funds remaining, Airbnb reserves the right to recall the funding and use the surplus funds within the programme to support other projects
Does the Application have to be for a new project, or can it be for a project already in progress?
Airbnb encourages all applicants to submit ideas for new projects that have the potential for positive impact on the community. However, projects that are in development and have not yet been fully realised will also be considered.
Does the project have to use the Airbnb platform in some way?
Airbnb encourages applicants to look at how they can take advantage of the Airbnb marketplace to enhance their impact, including but not limited to these examples:
- Considering how the project could incorporate local hospitality specialities and provide for an experience that can be booked on the Airbnb platform
- Considering how the project could incorporate a social cause or activity which can be supported by bookings on the Airbnb platform
If my proposal is not accepted, can I re-apply with a revision of the same proposal?
While we don’t want to preclude the possibility of a strengthened idea becoming eligible, applicants should keep in mind that we are under no obligation to fund a proposal, and we will not be able to provide specific feedback on why a Letter of Interest or Application was not selected for the Community Tourism Programme.
When will Airbnb review letters of interest and applications?
Letters of interest will be reviewed 3 times annually and if successful, your Application will be reviewed as soon as it is received by our internal Airbnb Community Tourism Programme Board.
What if I don’t hear back from Airbnb?
If you don’t hear back from Airbnb, then your project is not the right fit for the Community Tourism Programme. However, you may re-submit a new project or update your proposal to more sufficiently reflect the criteria.