This week, millions of Americans will travel in celebration of Thanksgiving, gathering around dining room tables from sea to shining sea. We estimate that there will be over 2.5 million guest arrivals on Thanksgiving Weekend at Airbnb listings worldwide, up roughly 60 percent from last year.
Many of these travelers will journey to New York, where the world’s biggest parade sets the stage for a day of feasts, football, and family. Airbnb is proud to be a part of so many Thanksgiving plans.
Unsurprisingly, New York City witnesses a significant spike in bookings and guests during Thanksgiving week, with many locals renting out their home while they are away and many more coming to enjoy autumn in New York.
Other key findings of the report include:
- More people will spend Thanksgiving Week in NYC on Airbnb than ever before.
- 41,000 guests will stay in Airbnb listings throughout the five boroughs during Thanksgiving week (Wednesday night through Sunday night, 11/22-11/26)
- More people will spend Thanksgiving Week in NYC on Airbnb than ever before, a 29 percent increase from 2015.
- Surges from Boston (up 56 percent) and Washington D.C. (up 31 percent) highlight how many Americans will take to the I-95 corridor by road, rail, and air to celebrate
- The typical (median) host with at least one booking during Thanksgiving Week will generate $490, with NYC hosts bringing in $7.9 million overall.