In honor of National Senior Citizens Day (August 21st), new analysis from Airbnb– the world’s leading community driven hospitality company — found across the United States nearly 78,000 seniors (ages 60 and up) share their homes with travelers using Airbnb. Approximately 1,500 of these senior hosts reside in South Carolina and and their statewide total increased 97 percent during 2017.
This new research comes as more baby boomers are turning to home sharing to help financially support their retirement, age in place, and stay socially engaged.
Seniors have become an extremely vital and positive group within Airbnb’s community. In addition to being the most highly rated hosts, seniors in South Carolina and beyond are reaping huge socioeconomic benefits from Airbnb, and gaining the financial means to age in place and keep their homes.
Will Burns, director of public policy for Airbnb in South Carolina
Other findings from this new Airbnb senior host analysis include the following data on the state of South Carolina:
- NUMBER OF HOSTS: South Carolina has 1,500 senior Airbnb hosts — 18% of all hosts.
- HOST GROWTH: Active senior hosts in South Carolina grew 97% during 2017.
- HOST INCOME: The typical Airbnb senior host in South Carolina earns $6,663.
- 5-STAR REVIEWS: 87% of Airbnb senior hosts in South Carolina have five-star reviews.
- TOP HOST CITIES: Rock Hill, Summerville and Mount Pleasant are among the most heavily populated cities with the highest percentage of senior Airbnb hosts across the state.
And, when seniors host on Airbnb it helps strengthen their communities. For many senior hosts, their Airbnb income allows them to avoid eviction or foreclosure. Forty-one percent of seniors reported that hosting has helped them afford to stay in their homes. The average Airbnb senior host has lived in their home for more than 16 years, and 68% of those hosts plan to stay in their homes for the foreseeable future or through the end of their lives. In fact, 45 percent of senior hosts rely on their Airbnb income to make ends meet and spend it on important costs of living.
The following is a breakdown of Airbnb senior host representation across the most highly-populated South Carolina cities:
South Carolina senior hosts
|City/Town||% of Senior Airbnb Hosts|